Tonight DJTechTools.com reported on the product listing for the Native Instruments Kontrol X1 MK2 on pssl.com. The pictures show a new touch strip, LED display, and colored buttons. As an owner of 2 Kontrol X1s, I decided to share my first impressions in video form. Some of the design choices surprised me – most notably the lack of labels, limited number of Shift button functions, and arrangement of the CUE, Play, and SYNC buttons.
Native Instruments Kontrol X1 MK2 DJ Controller
Native Instruments’ Traktor Kontrol X1 is a company and portable controller designed for perfect Traktor integration, delivering ultra-intuitive control over looping, syncing, and effects on two track decks. Equally powerful for DJing in the box or using timecode control, its plug-and-play connectivity lets you set up fast. Robust knobs and buttons give you instant, tactile control over all essential DJ functions. A multi-purpose touch strip keeps you in direct control without ever having to reach for your turntable or CDJ, perfect for quick, precise pitchbending and innovative effects control.
- Innovative – Multi-purpose touch strip for DJing without the need for a turntable or CDJ
- Fully-integrated – Perfectly complements digital DJ setups, from “all in the box” to premium digital vinyl systems like Traktor Scratch
- New multi-purpose touch strip keeps you in direct control without ever having to reach for your turntable or CDJ
- Advanced, touch-sensitive browser and loop controls deliver ultimate performance possibilities
- New RGB cue point trigger buttons help to visually identify cue points from loops or load markers
- Improved 7-segment displays and LED indicators on the multi-purpose touch strip for comprehensive visual feedback
- Control 2 track decks and 2 freely assignable Traktor FX units
- Plug and play – instantly automaps to Traktor
- Innovative new touch strip delivers ultra-precise control over track position, pitchbend, and FX
- Precision buttons, knobs and touch-sensitive encoders deliver ultimate control
- Lightweight, robust housing with slim, ultra-portable form factor – fits perfectly next to a club mixer
- Expandable – connect 2 Traktor Kontrol X1s to control up to 4 decks
- Compatible – combine with Traktor Kontrol Z2 mixer or Traktor Kontrol F1 Remix controllers
No announcement has been made by Native Instruments to confirm that this is real. The Kontrol Z1 was just announced, so I doubt that they would want to shift the focus away from it so soon. The purple cue button and lack of a MIDI-mode button suggest that to me that this might come with a new version of Traktor Pro with features we haven’t seen before. Kontrol X1 MK2 is listed as being available August 1, 2013, so I guess we’ll find out whether it is real or not in the next few months.